This Blog, established since Dec 2001, is a place dedicated to the talented and beautiful Hollywood actress Naomi Watts. All images and videos published here are owned by their respective owners or photographers. No copyright infringement whatsoever is intended or implied. The owner of this Blog is not associated with the actress or anyone around her. This Blog is non-profit making and is operated purely for personal interest. We welcome all discreet and well-intentional comments and feedback. (Note: this site is best viewed with Firefox)

Sep 22, 2013

[Interview] Naomi Watts on re-creating Diana and life


- by Interview People on Sep 17, 2013 

It’s the first serious film about Princess Diana’s private life and will undoubtedly unleash a new wave of public interest about her. DIANA takes us through the final years in the life of the Princess of Wales, focusing on her secret romance with the heart surgeon, Dr Hasnat Kahn. In taking on the title role, Naomi Watts is fully aware that her performance will attract perhaps more attention than any other character she has ever played. Not that Watts is the kind of woman who would ever turn down the chance to play such an iconic figure.

“Diana was a remarkable and fascinating woman,” Watts, 44, says. “She grew into her role with the Royal family and exceeded everyone’s expectations. She became much stronger through it all and she embraced the charitable work she was doing. That gave her life a great sense of purpose. She was also a very devoted mother and wanted to give her children as normal a life as she could.”..........

Directed by Oliver Hirschbiegel (Downfall), DIANA co-stars Naveen Andrews as Dr Khan and is one of the most highly anticipated films of the year. Watts decided to take on the role largely because of the enormous challenge involved in playing a legendary and beloved figure. She was aware of the pressure of playing one of the ‘most famous women of our time” and that made her all the more determined to throw herself into the role, so much so that she recently stated that “it felt like I was spending a lot of time with her” on a spiritual level.

Watts lives with her long-time partner actor Liev Schreiber (Ray Donovan, Salt), and their two boys, Sasha (Alexander) 6, and Samuel, 4. Watts and family spend most of the year in New York although they have spent considerable time in London during the past year.

Naomi, how do you view Diana’s life?

She was a remarkable woman. It’s extraordinary the way she was able to finally grow into her role within the Royal family and be able to do so many great things with her work for AIDS charities, raising public awareness, and also drawing attention to the issue of landmines. She was very brave the way she faced up to the pressure of becoming a public figure who tried to break free of the confines of what was expected of her.

As a celebrity yourself can you relate to that?

My life is also subject to a certain amount of scrutiny but nothing comparable to what Diana endured. Sometimes I’ll have paparazzi following me when I’m with Liev or I’m out with the children and that’s not very pleasant. But it’s not a constant thing and so it doesn’t really become inhibiting. But Diana was under such intense focus that it affected her in a very negative way. I can’t even imagine how she dealt with that kind of attention and this feeling of living your life in a bubble.

What are your impressions of her as a mother?

Diana was very close to her children. She was worried about how their lives would be affected by all the attention she was receiving and how they would grow into their roles within the Royal family. She wanted to give them as much love and care as she could and make sure they grew up as happy and well-rounded individuals. She was a wonderful mother.

Getting back to your work on the film, how did you get past the physical comparisons to Diana?

The real point is to get at her essence and what made her who she was. It was clear from the start that we weren’t interested in mimicking her. I’m obviously shorter, and my facial features aren’t at all similar to hers. That meant you try to create an identification with her voice, the way she spoke, and then the hair and clothes and make-up which helps build the illusion. That way you can get on with the story and your portrayal of the character and try to explore who she was behind the scenes. That’s where you have more freedom to use your own sense of who she was and put forward your own interpretation.

Was she a contradictory figure to play because she could be both very strong-willed and fragile?

She was very determined to live her own life. I think she was ultimately a very strong woman. That’s what I admire about her because my own mother is very strong and forceful and I’m drawn towards characters who are able to stand up for themselves. Diana rose up to the challenges she faced and she wanted to make her mark on the world and not let herself be controlled. I admire how she fought for her happiness.

How did growing up with a strong mother affect you?

I grew up in the shadow of my mother, a woman with an overwhelming and very extroverted personality. I suppose that, early on, I got used to being more the observer and not someone who liked being observed. I’m someone who likes to stay out of the spotlight and I’m not that comfortable in large groups or with a lot of people I don’t know. I am someone who’s very wrapped up in pleasing people, and I think that came from being a kid who moved around a lot and was trying to fit in. I can still get talked into things, but much less than before.

You’ve described yourself as shy. Are you still that way?

I’m very shy in some ways and that’s why I enjoy being in the company of outgoing and charismatic people because I’m not that way myself. It takes me time before I open up to people but when I’m acting I feel the kind of freedom to throw myself into situations that I would never dare to attempt in my personal life.

Do you feel you’ve overcome many of your fears in life?

Because I lost my father when I was young, I worried about so many things when I was younger and some of those anxieties are still part of me. But I think I feel I’ve been able to put most of those anxieties to the side now although I’m not sure they ever truly leave you.

You started your family relatively late in life even though as a young woman you were very anxious to have a child. How rewarding has it been to have ultimately been able to be part of your own family?

I’m happier than I ever expected to be. Starting a family is an issue that preoccupies you when you’ve worked hard and made a conscious decision to focus on your career and put off having children. But then you find yourself in your mid-thirties and you start becoming much more aware of your situation. Then I met Liev at a cocktail party in New York and it’s all worked out.

Do you have fond memories of that first meeting?

We met at the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s annual costume ball (in 2005). I was wearing this very feminine, sexy Calvin Klein dress and Liev and I hit it off right from the beginning. We exchanged phone numbers and we called each other after I left to go back home to L.A. where I was living at the time. I was very curious and intrigued about him and so as soon as I was able to I booked a flight back to New York. Then we worked on a film together in China. As soon as he left it hit me how much I missed him and wanted to be with him again.

Was it destiny in some way that you wound up having children relatively late?

I always wanted to have children when I was in my early twenties. Then when I was living in L.A. it was a question of trying to survive in the business and I wasn’t in any state to even think about family. I also think that I need to establish myself in life and gain more wisdom and self-awareness. I’m probably a better parent now than I would have been in my twenties. It was important for me to achieve my dreams as an actress and that has given me a greater sense of ease as a mother knowing that I’ve already achieved something and not worrying about whether I do one more film or less?

Is it hard to imagine that before you met Liev you worried greatly about starting a family?

There was a time when I was becoming pessimistic because children were always a lifelong dream of mine. I would never have felt the happiness I feel now if I hadn’t met Liev and I hadn’t had my children. I still have shudders when I think how my life would have turned out if we hadn’t met. So maybe there was some destiny involved – I don’t know! (laughs)

Do you feel you’ve arrived at a point in your life where you feel very fulfilled?

I think so. I still feel very ambitious but it’s a very different feeling now than when I was struggling to get parts and then trying to keep finding good films once I had established myself. Now I have a wonderful man and children to come home to and waking up in the morning with my family is one of the greatest joys you can ever have in life.


1 comment:

Emma C said...

Thank you for Naomi.